Sunday, January 27, 2013

Kendrell, A "FABULOUS" New Year and a "Metaphorical" New Level!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, FAMILY! (I KNOW I'M LATE!)


YES, it's been a minute since I've written. Things have been really incredible on this end, though. TO CATCH UP, I spent Christmas and New Years in Boston with my partner, Kendrell, and our puppy Rocco. It's the special times and moments you take with the people that you love that are priceless. Kendrell encourages and inspires me so much. I'm grateful to have that love in my life. Now, just like anything it's not ALWAYS perfect, but you begin to realize that it's the #truelove you have for someone that stands the test of time. I'm happy to have that. I'm also grateful to have my mother, father, brother and other family members in my life as well. As a matter of fact, my dad came to visit me in NYC before I left for Boston (we had a good time) and I flew home to see my mother. For those who don't know, she's been battling Breast Cancer for some years now. She's so strong and I admire her so much. Her strength is so incredible and I am driven by her perseverance. She is doing much better and hearing her tell me she loves me on the phone is something I do NOT take for granted. Please just keep her lifted in prayer. My brother and his two boys are good too!! I'm grateful for their love as well.
My Daddy, Larry, and I
Ma, Gene and I
The "FABULOUS SYLVESTER" concert we did in July and September of last year has led to us doing a NATIONAL TOUR of the show. I'M SO EXCITED. Our first stop is WASHINGTON, D.C., which is where we are RIGHT NOW!! Words can't really express how blessed and happy I feel to be doing something so special with my partner and incredibly talented ass people. If you are in the D.C. area tonight (Jan. 27th), come check us out at The Howard Theatre.
Click here for more information: www.FABULOUSSYLVESTER.com
NOTHING is easy. This entire process has been a learning experience in making me a stronger, smarter and better man. There are so many things that people never see and will NEVER understand unless you own your own business. There are SO MANY behind the scenes things that people don't care about. They just want the final product and that can really mess your head up. It can make you feel like no one appreciates the sacrifices you had to make, the pain you had to endure, the arguments you had to have, the struggles you have to go through in order for something or someone to shine for one moment. I realize how moments are so precious. Time is so fleeting. So I'm doing EVERYTHING I can to not take anything, any time or any one for granted. I appreciate the moments of life and look forward to even more with those I love.

Speaking of doing your own thing, it can be very difficult when you enjoy your work and what you've created so much that other things begin to falter. That's why you have to learn the art of balancing. It's an everyday learning experience for me. That being said, the production of "PIPPIN" that I just finished at A.R.T. just found a home on Broadway!! I am so excited about that as well. To have two types of careers flourishing at the same time is hard, but so refreshing. That doesn't happen all the time. As I said before, it's an everyday learning experience and I invite any challenge to come my way. "PIPPIN" is going to be at the Music Box Theatre on 45th Street. I'm looking forward to being back on Broadway with this show in particular. It brings so much behind it because of it's Metaphorical splendor. People can't truly find the ending to it or figure it out which excites me because it makes it new EVERY NIGHT! We begin rehearsals early March, previews begin March 23rd and we open April 25th.

"PIPPIN" at American Repertory Theatre
The American Repertory Theatre Company of "PIPPIN"

Honestly, I feel like I'm living a dream. Seriously. Things are happening around me and I am so happy about it. It's times like this I remember when no one wanted to know who I was. I remember when people didn't care about me. I remember walking around NYC for hours passing out my headshot to people like Telsey, Tara Rubin and Binder Casting. I remember getting a $5 Quizno's sub and eating half of it for lunch and the other half for dinner. I remember FIGHTING to get seen;.....for just the chance. I remember sitting at the Equity building all day since 7am with my name first on the Non-Equity list to be told at 5pm that they're not seeing any more people and I should go home. I remember eventually getting a GREAT paying 1st National Tour and making the most money I'd ever made in my life, but feeling SO alone and lonely. I remember......and will NEVER FORGET! I stay humble and human. God is amazing and I'm a man who wants people to see HIM in all I do because I know he's always there for me no matter what. Faith without works is dead, so keep working, be Faithful and never any adversity to discourage you. Time is fleeting, so take advantage of EVERY second. I'm a happy and blessed man tonight. I am free, fierce and "FABULOUS".....and so are you.

love, a.











No comments:

Post a Comment