Wednesday, March 30, 2011

HELLO, GOODMORNING,.....BROADWAY!!

A.Wayne in Final Rehearsals at Studio 54
I remember some years ago watching "Miss Saigon" on Broadway for the first time and being in such awe of those on stage and the miraculous journey the entire cast was taking me on.  That thrill and chill I got then came back to me full circle during the second night of Previews for "Anything Goes". As I'm waltzing in "Delovely" with Kim Faure, I began to cry as I thought about seeing Desmond Richardson in "Fosse" and saying to myself "I want to do THIS for the rest of my life".  Now, some little girl/boy is in that audience watching us saying the exact same thing.  I'm so grateful and happy to be doing exactly what I love to do in the way that I'm supposed to be doing it.  Who'd've known that the little, country boy named Anthony Wayne Green from Norfolk, Virginia would grow up to be on Broadway. I'd always dreamed of it and thought about it, but to actually be IN IT right now is so surreal.  I remember writing on a sheet of paper on the wall at 11yrs old, "I want to be on Broadway".....and here it is.  Hello, GoodMorning!
Sutton Foster and A.Wayne
To come out of the stage door and have people genuinely enjoy your performance and the color you brought to the canvas means so much.  I'm so much more than just a Black Man on that stage.  I'm a man with great drive, ambition, courage, hope and joy who is shining and allowing the true individuality and peace of the Man I am come to life.  I think that's seen as people watch the show and enjoy the journey we're taking them on. It truly means a lot to me for people to know that.  I also, know that I represent a lot on that stage.  From Sammy Davis, Jr. to Gregg Burge to Gregory Hines to Hinton Battle to Adrian Bailey to every black man who has ever been on a Broadway Stage.  I also represent all my teachers who have taught me and blessed me with the knowledge of knowing what to do as I perform.  Even more evident than that, I represent my Family and hometown of Norfolk, Virginia.  So, if someone tells me that they're proud of the work I'm doing, I'm so grateful.  To me, I'm not the only one on that stage making my Broadway Debut.  WE'RE ALL on that stage.  If I make it, we ALL make it and that's the truth from me.  As time ticks on and the Opening for the show comes closer day by day (April 7th), I am continuing to live, breathe and enjoy every moment because I know nothing lasts forever.  
A.Wayne and some of his Phenomenal Cast Members


Stay Encouraged.

-a.

1 comment:

  1. Anthony,

    That has to be the sweetest thing I ever read. I want you to know that you do absolutely bring so much joy to everyone who watches you dance. You will inspire many fans throughout your career.

    I was actually shocked to read in the playbill that this is you Broadway debut! When I saw you in Anyone Can Whistle I for sure thought you had to be a seasoned Broadway performer. The Cookie Chase is one of those moments that will always stay with me. That show was bizarre, but it's actually towards the top for one of my favorite shows! I feel so lucky that I had the chance to see three out of the five performances you guys did!

    I can't even begin to fathom what that feeling is when you are finally living your dreams. I was that little girl who aspired to dance on Broadway, but the doubts got the best of me. I know I'm no where near talented enough to do what you guys do. But watching you always makes me want to dance again. I remember I always felt so special as a kid when I'd tell someone I wanted to be on Broadway, it wasn't a common dream for living in northern Maine.

    Growing up, I can still pinpoint that moment where I just knew that was where I belonged. It was in 2003 sitting in the rear orchestra of the Marriott Marquis watching Sutton Foster perform Not For the Life of Me in Thoroughly Modern Millie. That song spoke to me in a way that no other song has. And then watching her tap, and her dorkiness shine through in Millie Dillmount ... and I can never forget hearing Gimme Gimme live. But what I remember the most was how much fun she was having. That's what I wanted to do. *sigh* I guess my high school drama teachers were right, I didn't have the drive.

    Anyways, I didn't mean to ramble. I'm so glad that I've had the honor of watching you dance in two shows so far, and to be a part of your Broadway debut! I'll be thinking of you on the 7th! Break a leg! And best of luck to you in the future!

    <3 Darci ... one of the crazy girls with the posters at Good Morning America. :P

    ReplyDelete